Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 0

So, I'm sitting here waiting for ballots to print on the slowest computer known to man... UGH! I hate waiting with nothing to occupy my time. That brings me to this blog. I noticed over the last couple days that my friends and family have started blogging again - wanting to tell people what's going on in their awesome lives. My partner is blogging about her running goals and asking people to help her reach her fundraising goals for Team in Training. She is truly amazing and so giving! I have another friend who just got back from a whole summer in Africa helping students and participating in several social work projects. Very impressive. The final push for me was the latest blog from a friend who has quit her job to pursue her lifetime dream of traveling and becoming a writer through her travels... How inspiring!

So here I am. Blogging for the first time in my life. I suck at talking about myself. I don't think I'm really that interesting. I work for the government, making the local voters' pamphlet and creating ballots. So, I suppose I am a graphic designer of sorts. Not that I went to school to learn anything about how to be one. I was basically thrown into it. You know, like when you get thrown into the deep end of the pool and are then told to swim... The proverbial sink or swim is now swim or die drowning!

The truth is I actually went to school to be a writer. When I was in high school I wanted to write plays and be a director. Then I went to community college and learned how to write scripts. When I finally made it to university I was set on being a writer, taking class after class on different types of writing. My days were filled with literature and writing and reading and writing and listening to other people's writing... and then... I totally burned out on writing and reading and college all together. :( I walked away from it. I had other things going on in my life that helped distract me.

I went on and left that idea behind me. I was in survival mode anyway. I had a turbulent life and instead of taking the time to write about it, I simply tried to survive it.

Now, here I am. It is 10 years after graduation and I am in a much more healthy place in my life. I have found myself searching for direction. I am not happy in my job and I have lost my drive to be physically active... I feel like I lack the motivation to have a goal that I would want to achieve.

So that's it. This was a very long way of saying that this blog is going to be about me committing to the goal of writing every day. It may be about me, it may be a short poem or an idea for a short story. Who knows! You are welcome to join me on this trip through my very strange, complicated, emotional brain. I'm sure there's something in there worth writing about. LOL!

That's all for now...


"be alive"





1 comment: