It’s that catch-22 that seems to keep me at home playing Wii or even just home “relaxing.” Just running/walking for an hour or two or three, knowing that it “makes me stronger” and “builds my endurance” and that I’m “getting a good workout” is not motivation enough to get my behind off the couch. L I want it to be fun… I’ll go all day if it’s fun or even just social. A walk with a friend or better yet a group of friends sounds like fun, not challenging. I’m able to get up so early to do the P90X every morning, because I am going to do that torturous workout with my Stacey. We aren’t even competing to be better than the other, we are encouraging each other to push past our own inner voice telling us to stop there.
I want to be fit again. I just want to have fun getting there. Anyone have a good idea of how I can find fun, social ways of working out?
I can so relate to this. It is very hard to motivate myself to work out. I will get on the treadmill but 30 minutes seems like hours when it's just me watching TV. But when I take a walk (even the one we call our "short loop" which takes about 40-45 minutes) I feel so much better because I'm WITH someone. If I take a bike ride by myself, I'll quit in about a half hour. But if I'm with someone, I can bike 40 miles or more. I think it's more important to schedule in fun time that involves fitness rather than actual workouts all the time. Like one day, walk with a friend, another day take a fitness class, another day take a long bike ride with Stacey, another day, walk the dog with a friend, etc. Look at Jeff and I - I will never match his athletic ability, and not because I'm not motivated, but because he's been doing this since he was a child and I've only gotten active as an adult. We are just not matched up that way, two different people. Everyone has a different level of fitness and motivation. Amy keeps on me to sign up for a tri but right now that just doesn't register as "fun" for me, even though I've complted two tris in the past. Just because I did one doesn't mean I want to do another or a bunch. Same as when I went river rafting once - it was a BLAST, but it scared the hell out of me and I'm glad I did it once, but if I never do it again, that's ok with me. You'd think being 50+lbs overweight I'd be "motivated" to work out like a crazy woman, but I love life and I want to enjoy it, not work all the time! I want to be healthy and strong, but I'm not motivated to be a size 6 or beat my time on my last triathlon. Maybe not everyone understands that but that's me. So, be ok with that for YOU. You are no less committed than Stacey to your health and fitness, you're just realizing the ways you can achieve that through FUN.
ReplyDeleteHey sweets, let's find things that are even more fun! How about starting a fitness group of people that love to go and try new things? How about learning trapeze? Learning to unicycle? Chi Running? A hiking group? You can do this. Just think of what is fun for YOU and put the idea out there.... you are certain to find people who also want to do the activity, but also really want to spend time with YOU. You are kind of incredible. :) Thanks for waking up with me every morning to work out. I have a lot of fun doing it. :)
ReplyDelete